The Indian Journal of Medical Ethics invites you to the Third National Bioethics Conference to be held at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, from November 17 to 20, 2010.
Background and Vision
The Indian Journal of Medical Ethics (www.ijme.in), a peer-reviewed, indexed journal (earlier under the titles Medical Ethics and Issues in Medical Ethics), was set up in 1993 as a forum for discussion on healthcare ethics and for scientific exchanges and debates on bioethics.
Third IJME National Bioethics Conference 2010
Theme: Governance of Healthcare- Ethics, Equity and Justice
In recent decades, the Indian health sector has seen revolutionary changes. With the wave of globalisation that has hit India, world class technologies, super-specialities and big corporate and private sector hospitals have emerged in India, but these have somehow distanced themselves from the poor and needy in the country. The new wave has also paved the way for international collaborations in the field of research, service delivery and health education. Although significant achievements have been made, there are still gaping holes in the public healthcare services which cater to a significant proportion of the population.
Keeping this pressing concern in mind, the Third NBC on the theme Governance of healthcare- ethics, equity and justice is being held on November 17-20, 2010, at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, the premier medical institute in the country. The conference is meant to bring together practitioners, policymakers and activists with diverse perspectives on governance in healthcare, towards building an equitable and just healthcare system for a productive dialogue to this end.
Call for Papers
The scientific committee of the Third National Bioethics Conference seeks abstracts of papers, and proposals for holding workshops, on topics relevant to bioethics. These must be in line with the conference theme: Governance of healthcare- ethics, equity and justice.
Abstract and proposal deadline is June 18, 2010.
These can be submitted online at nbc3.ijme.in
Conference website: nbc3.ijme.in
National Secretariat: Centre for Studies in Ethics and Rights,
501, B wing, Dalkhania House,
Behind State Bank of India, Vakola, Santacruz (E),
Mumbai: 400 055, India
Local Secretariat: Sama- Resource Group for Women and Health,
B-45, 2nd Floor, Main Road Shivalik,
New Delhi- 110 017, India
National Coordinating Committee
- George Thomas, Editor, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
- Neha Madhiwalla, Coordinator, Centre for Studies in Ethics and Rights
- Peush Sahni, Editor, National Medical Journal of India
- N Sarojini, Coordinator, Sama- Resource Group for Women and Health
- Renu Saxena, Secretary, Institutional Ethics COmmittee, AIIMS
National Advisory Committee
- Justice Leila Seth (Retd), Former Member, Law Commission of India
- Dr Syeda Hameed, Member, Planning Comission of India
- Dr Samiran Nundy, Head, Dept of Surgical Gastroenterology, Sir Gangaram Hospital
- Dr Srinath Reddy, Director, Public Health Foundation of India
- Dr MK Bhan, Secretary, Government of India, Dept of Biotechnology
For more information, including registration details, please visit the 3rd NBC website.